Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What are the behaviours that infuriates me.

There are some behaviours that make me angry , but in a regular way. Others turn me in an aggressive comportment , racism is one of those and this is the one I'm going to speak about.
I'm only 18 and I know that the situations I have encounter are not the worse that you could imagine but they are still interesting. Interesting in the sense that they allow us to think about how others are sometimes thinking. Although I entirely respect that people have different opinions, I reckon that those points of vue shouldn't put others' integrity in danger.
According to me racism is not as present than it has already been in history, if there is any kind of reason to this I would point the awakening that occured after WW2. People realised where racism could lead. Nowadays, 60 years after those dark events, the question remains without answer: Did we manage to learn from our mistakes?
A behaviour is not a way of thinking but a way of acting, that means that racism is noticed only when people show that they are racist in their mind. What I try to explain is that everyone has some racism deeply in his mind, the point is: What degree of this state of mind are you following when you act?
Racism has been existing for ages there is no doubt about this but we are now living in a multicultural society. I have been to Africa three times and I met wonderful people there. I admit that it is maybe the reason why my judgement isn't completely objective but when I see coloured people that aren't able to find because racists do not want to hire them or when people don't sit beside a black guy because of his colour I am revolted.
Is racism a question condition, education or even heredity? Are people racist because it gives them a group to be linked to? Is racism a human caracteristic? I don't know but I would like to understand.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

This is one of the issues that really upset me as well. Not just racism, but whenever people treat each other with disrespect. As you said, we are all entitled to our own opinions, but I do think the world would be a much better place if we could look on each and every person with compassion and understanding. It certainly isn't always easy, but I try my best.

ps check your spelling and verb tenses :)